The Manage Your Fleet screen is used to link aftermarket hardware to a new vehicle, or to replace the hardware currently installed in a vehicle (for example, if it has been upgraded or the old hardware was faulty). You can also retire vehicles that you no longer need from this screen, swap a subscription to a different vehicle, and unretire hardware that you have previously retired bringing it back into service.
The actions you can perform in this screen vary based on the telematics hardware your vehicle includes, whether it is built-in (OEM) or aftermarket. Your available licenses, their type (for example pre-paid or those that support only non-powered or AEMP asset types), and your subscription count also determine whether vehicles and hardware can be added.
Install New Hardware
To install new hardware in a vehicle:
- Click the Manage Your Fleet tab, or click the Manage Your Fleet link on the Vehicles & Services section of the Overview tab. The Manage Your Fleet tab opens.
- Click the Install Hardware button in the upper left corner of the screen. Note that this button is only active if you have unused licenses available. The Install Hardware screen opens.
Your current subscription details and the number of unused licenses available are shown to the right of the Install Hardware button on the Manage Your Fleet screen:
- Vehicle and Asset Subscription: The total number of software licenses that you have purchased. Note that this number might not include license subscriptions for other Verizon Connect products.
- Available: The number of licenses currently available for use.
- In the screen that opens, enter the details of the new vehicle:
- Name: The vehicle's name or tag.
- Driver: The name of the vehicle's driver.
- Install Type: The hardware install type being used (for example, Xirgo or Hino).
- VIN: The vehicle's unique 17-character Vehicle Identification Number, or chassis number. If the VIN is identified as being OEM, you will not need to select any hardware to be installed, and the table at the bottom of the screen is disabled. If the VIN is identified as being OEM and you would like to link it to aftermarket hardware instead, simply remove the VIN. This re-enables the table at the bottom of the screen. You can add the VIN later, once the vehicle is in your fleet.
- Registration: The license plate details of the vehicle.
- Make: The manufacturer of the vehicle.
- Model: The model of vehicle.
- Year: The year of manufacture of the vehicle.
The "Name", "VIN", and "Registration" details you enter are validated against the vehicles in your organization that currently have hardware, and against supported OEM manufacturers, and will be rejected if they match an existing vehicle (to move hardware to an existing vehicle, see Swapping Vehicles and Retiring Vehicles). If the VIN identifies the vehicle as being from a supported OEM manufacturer, the actions you can perform (for example, swapping or retiring) will vary according to the vehicle type and its hardware.
- Select the hardware you want to use in your vehicle from the hardware grid. To sort your hardware click any column header, or filter the hardware using the Filter field.
The Only show available hardware toggle switch above the grid can be used to filter the grid so it only shows vehicles that are available for use (and list the total number of available hardware units), or to show the total number of hardware units associated with your account, whether used or available.
- Click the Install Hardware button and a confirmation window opens. Click Continue to proceed, or Cancel to abandon. The Verify Signal screen opens, and the fleet management system verifies the connection with the hardware over the network. The vehicle's ignition must be on, and the vehicle must be within mobile network range, to complete the step. If you are not currently with the vehicle, you can install a mobile app to your phone from this screen, or enter your mobile phone number to receive a message that contains a link to use on your phone to test connectivity with the vehicle.
- Click Finish when the connection is verified. The hardware is now associated with the vehicle in the fleet management system.
To replace the existing hardware in a vehicle with new hardware:
OEM vehicles do not support "replace" functionality as they include built-in telematics hardware that cannot be removed. If you would like to change your OEM vehicle so that it connects to aftermarket hardware instead of the built-in solution, or switch an existing vehicle that has aftermarket hardware installed to instead use its built-in OEM solution, contact support.
- Click the Manage Your Fleet tab. The Manage Your Fleet screen opens.
- In the lower vehicle grid, locate the vehicle that contains the hardware you want to replace. To sort vehicles click any column header, or enter the vehicle details such as its name, model, or VIN into the Filter field.
- Click the Replace link to the right of the vehicle. The Replace Hardware screen opens.
- Select a new hardware Install Type from the New Install Type drop-down menu. This tells the fleet management system which kind of hardware you are changing to, and the type of data to process.
- Click the shelved hardware you want to use in your vehicle from the hardware grid. To sort hardware click a column header, or filter the hardware using the Filter field. Click the Only show available hardware toggle to filter the list so it shows only hardware that is available for installation (that is, not already assigned to a vehicle).
The 'status' of each device is determined by the following factors: whether the device is currently linked to a vehicle or not, the device's fulfillment status, whether the device is a web unit or not, the asset type, whether the device is integrated (OEM), and whether there is a device link history. Device status can be any of the following:
The device is available to be linked to. It has been linked previously and is currently linked to an unused license.
The device has been shipped by the fulfillment team and is ready to be installed.
Either the device is OEM integrated hardware and therefore cannot be linked as an aftermarket device, or the Asset Type of the device does not match the asset type of the last asset linked to the available licenses.
Set based on the Device Fulfillment Status.
The device is currently linked to a vehicle. To use this you would need to unlink first; for example, perform a swap on the vehicle.
The device can’t be linked to, for example Web Units.
- Click the Replace Hardware button. A confirmation dialog box opens. Click Continue to proceed, or Cancel to abandon. The Verify Signal screen opens, and the fleet management system verifies the connection with the hardware over the network. The vehicle's ignition must be on, and the vehicle must be within mobile network range, to complete the step. If you are not currently with the vehicle, you can install a mobile app to your phone from this screen, or enter your mobile phone number to receive a message that contains a link to use on your phone to test connectivity with the vehicle.
- Click Finish when the connection is verified. The vehicle is now associated with the selected hardware in the fleet management system.
Please sign in to leave a comment.