This feature is available only under Canadian ELD regulations, not in the US.
When driving under Canadian ELD regulations, you can defer up to 2 hours of your required 10 hours off-duty time to the next day.
- Defer up to 2 hours of off-duty time
- Not defer more than 2 hours of off-duty time
- Defer less than 2 hours of off-duty time
You can defer off-duty time only under the following conditions:
- The deferred time is not part of the 8 consecutive off-duty hours taken on the first day.
- The deferred time is added to the 8 consecutive off-duty hours taken the next day.
- Over the 2 days, you must not exceed a maximum of 26 hours of driving, and you must take a minimum of 20 hours off duty.
To defer off-duty time:
- Go to the HOS Status screen.
- Tap Actions in the lower part of the screen.
- Tap ‘Off Duty’ Deferral.
- Review the time that you can defer, which can be up to 2 hours. You cannot defer off-duty time if you:
- Have already deferred off-duty time that day or the previous day
- Have already split your 8-hour rest break that day
- Are in violation
- Do not have any remaining off-duty time
- Are currently off duty
- Tap Confirm.
- You can now see your off-duty deferral time listed under the details of the HOS Status screen.
- The next day, when you sign in to the HOS app, you will receive a reminder that you must take the deferred off-duty time as part of your rest break. You must confirm the deferred off-duty time.
This is an example of deferring 1 hour of off-duty time to the next day:
You are On Duty or driving for 15 hours and take 9 hours of off-duty time. The break can be:
- Taken as a continuous 9-hour block
- Split into 8h + 1h
- Split into 8h + 30min + 30min (You can't take breaks that are shorter than 30 minutes.)
You must take a break that consists of a minimum of 9 continuous hours, which is your usual 8 hours plus the deferred 1 hour from the previous day. You can take the remaining 2 hours of required off-duty time:
- Added entirely to the 9-hour break to create an 11-hour break
- Added partially to the 9-hour break and the rest as separate breaks that are each at least 30 minutes
- Separately as a 2-hour break or split into several breaks that are each at least 30 minutes
Please sign in to leave a comment.