Support for the Personal Conveyance mode must be enabled in your account.
Personal Conveyance is a mode that allows you to use a vehicle for authorized personal use without the driving time counting towards your HOS limits. When you turn on Personal Conveyance mode, your HOS status is recorded as Off Duty although your vehicle is moving. Your location is recorded with reduced accuracy and you are unable to sign out of WorkPlan while you are in the Personal Conveyance mode. When you commence your work shift, you must turn the Personal Conveyance mode off.
If you turn your ignition off while you are in Personal Conveyance mode and you want to remain in this mode, make sure that you accept the pop-up message that is displayed. The message asks whether you want to continue using Personal Conveyance mode. If you do not accept the pop-up message, you automatically leave Personal Conveyance mode and start using Driving mode.
In Canada, you must not drive a cumulative daily distance greater than 75km in Personal Conveyance mode. If you exceed a cumulative distance of 75km while in Personal Conveyance mode, your status is automatically changed to Driving and you are no longer in Personal Conveyance mode. Your driving time then counts towards your permitted driving allowance. The daily Personal Conveyance allowance resets at midnight, not at the start or end of the driver’s shift.
Entering Personal Conveyance Mode
To enter the Personal Conveyance mode:
- Turn your vehicle off, if you have been driving as part of your work shift.
- Perform any remaining work tasks, if applicable, making sure that your status is On Duty on the HOS Status screen.
- When you are ready to enter the Personal Conveyance mode, change your HOS status to Off Duty on the HOS Status screen.
- Tap Actions in the lower part of the screen.
- Tap Personal Conveyance.
- Tap Yes to enter the Personal Conveyance mode. While you are in the Personal Conveyance mode, you are unable to change your HOS status or sign out. Normal HOS functionality is disabled and your location is recorded with reduced accuracy.
If you are driving in Canada, the remaining distance that you are allowed to drive in Personal Conveyance mode is shown on the Personal Conveyance screen. If you exceed the permitted distance of 75km, you will be automatically switched to Driving.
Leaving Personal Conveyance Mode
To leave the Personal Conveyance mode and return to normal HOS functionality tap End on the screen that is displayed while you are in the Personal Conveyance mode. The button becomes active when the vehicle stops moving.
When you change your HOS status, you can select an event type of Personal Conveyance. Selecting this option does not enter you into the Personal Conveyance mode described on this page. To enter the Personal Conveyance mode, select Personal Conveyance from the Actions menu.
Recording Personal Driving Time Without Personal Conveyance Mode
An alternative method for recording personal driving time is described below. It is a less preferred approach than using the Personal Conveyance mode because the personal driving time counts towards your HOS driving time and can therefore lead to violations in the HOS app.
To record your personal driving time without using the Personal Conveyance mode:
- Make sure that you record the start time of your personal driving time. You can do this outside the app somewhere (for example, by adding an entry into your calendar) or by adding a note to an off duty or on duty status change right before you start driving.
- Start driving.
- Stop driving.
- Make sure that you record the end time of your personal driving time. You can do this outside the app or by adding a note to an off duty or on duty status change right after you have stopped driving.
- Edit your logs so that all statuses between the start and end of your personal driving time have a note stating that the status was for personal use.
- Make sure that you follow HOS regulations for all driving and on-duty time that is not part of the personal driving time.