When adding a GM OnStar vehicle, you must have your Fleet Account Number (FAN code) ready. Note that the FAN code must be the same code issued at the time the service was purchased.
If you don’t yet have a FAN code, contact GM before continuing with the steps below.
- If you have a subscription available, you can use the Install Hardware feature in My Account.
- If you require a new subscription, you can do this through the Connect Vehicles feature in My Account. Alternatively, you can contact your CSM.
GM OnStar Blue Button Key Push (BBKP)
Vehicles connected to GM OnStar Service have a special rear-view mirror installed.
These rear-view mirrors have buttons that perform various functions. The blue button connects your drivers with an OnStar advisor. Your drivers might need to press the blue button under the following circumstances:
- The unit is in a dormant state, is disabled, or has not been configured.
- The hardware configuration needs to be activated or updated. This is done via the cellular network, and the procedure for this is described below.
- The TCPS was not accepted when the unit was added to Fleet.
When the blue button on a vehicle’s rear-view mirror needs to be pushed for any reason, we say that the vehicle “needs a BBKP”.
To see which vehicles in your fleet need a BBKP, from the Main section of the navigation bar choose Vehicles. Vehicles that need a BBKP have the tag “BBKP” in the Tags column of the vehicles list. If the Tags column is not displayed, click the Settings icon to open the Settings dialog box. Select the Vehicle List tab, then select the Tags check box.
Using the GM OnStar Blue Button to Activate the Hardware
Your drivers should follow this procedure when activating the GM OnStar hardware:
- Push the blue OnStar button on the rear-view mirror, and listen closely to the prompts. You might need to push the button a second time to make a connection.
- When you are connected to an OnStar advisor, clearly state the following: "Please transfer me to a Fleet advisor."
- When you have been transferred to a Fleet advisor, say the following: "I’m calling to activate my OnStar hardware."
- When asked, confirm you are the driver or an authorized individual who is permitted to activate the hardware.
- When asked, provide the advisor with the following information:
- Your account PIN (usually, this is "9999" for GM Fleet vehicles).
- Your organization’s name, and the city and state of its headquarters.
- Your organization’s Fleet Account Number (FAN code).
The advisor will then send a signal to activate the unit.
GM OnStar Blue Button Tips
Here are some tips to help your drivers activate their GM OnStar hardware:
- OnStar advisors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, we recommend that your drivers call between 7:00 AM and 11:30 PM US Eastern Standard Time to speak to an advisor who is knowledgeable in activating OnStar hardware.
- Allow between 10 and 15 minutes to complete the call.
- Stay on the call until the advisor tells them that the hardware has been updated.
- Make the call from an area where cellular coverage is reliable and consistent (for example, not from an underground car park).