Drivers can select privacy mode to stop transferring camera and GPS tracking data to the Fleet platform. When privacy mode is enabled companies cannot monitor driving or access video from the camera. If privacy mode is not available, drivers may use privacy covers to mask the video being collected.
For information about how your company uses and shares data from the in-vehicle camera, please reference your company’s policies. Some companies may be obliged to share video data with legal authorities if they are required by a subpoena or other demand.
It is your company’s responsibility to ensure that usage of dashcams in vehicles complies with all applicable laws and regulations in your region.
In this article:
- What happens in privacy mode?
- Is privacy mode available in all vehicles?
- How to turn on privacy mode
- How to turn off privacy mode
- How to mask recording road and driver footage
- How to use privacy covers
What happens in privacy mode?
When a vehicle is in privacy mode:
- The vehicle’s tracking unit will not send location plots and harsh driving events to the video feature in Fleet.
- Video segments are not processed and retained for events such as harsh braking, collisions, or hard acceleration.
- Videos are recorded on the SD card but cannot be requested.
- The video will not be captured or uploaded to Fleet.
Videos can only be accessed by manually removing the SD card from the camera and using an SD card reader to download the footage.
Is privacy mode available in all vehicles?
Privacy mode may only be enabled on a vehicle if:
- The vehicle is equipped with a privacy button on the dashboard.
- The privacy option is enabled on the account by your company’s admin.
How to turn on privacy mode
To activate privacy mode, press and hold the vehicle’s privacy button for one second.
A red light appears on the button’s LED. The vehicle then displays a padlock icon on the Map, and the vehicle location will no longer update.
How to turn off privacy mode
How you disable privacy mode depends on the device’s configuration. You need to either:
- Press and hold the privacy button for one second until the red light goes off, or
- Turn off the ignition.
How to mask recording road and driver footage
If you have an AI Dashcam you can use the privacy cover to mask video recording of road or driver footage.
How to use privacy covers
When privacy covers are used, the camera remains powered on and the vehicle’s tracking unit continues to send location plots and harsh driving events to the video feature in Fleet.
Dual-Facing AI Dashcams are supplied with two privacy covers, one for each lens. Road-Facing AI Dashcams come with one privacy cover.
To use the privacy covers, do the following:
- Find the drawstring bag containing the privacy covers. This was supplied with the camera. The drawstring bag should be located in the vehicle, somewhere within the driver’s reach.
- Clip the covers over each camera lens. If a lens is not covered, it will continue to record footage of the road or driver.
- When ready, remove the privacy covers and put them back in the drawstring bag and in a handy location.
Article is closed for comments.