Markers are landmarks: physical locations that are important in your daily business operations.
You can define markers for customer locations, home bases, prohibited locations, and any other locations on the map. Markers have a defined geographical area that can include access paths and one or more gates permitting access to or from (or to and from) the marker's area to the road network. When you define markers, you can add information to them such as an address, assigned driver, contact details, delivery details, description, custom attributes, tags, and other information.
Markers come in two basic shapes:
- Circle markers are defined by a single physical location (latitude and longitude), and a radius. They are circular in shape. Any vehicle that stops near the location (less than the radius away) is considered to be “at” the marker.
- Polygon markers are defined as an ordered set of physical locations. The set of line segments that connect these locations defines a polygon-shaped area. Any vehicle that stops within the boundary of this polygon is considered to be “at” the marker.
You can group markers into categories. Marker categories represent important characteristics of locations, such as customer sites, prohibited locations, pick-up points, and refueling stations. A marker can belong to more than one category. One of the categories a marker belongs to is identified as its primary category.
When a vehicle stops at a marker, its icon on the map changes to the icon for the marker’s primary category. You can see at a glance where your vehicles are located relative to important locations such as delivery points, and company offices. You can optionally set the map to display all of your markers (not just the ones that have vehicles at them).
Once you have defined markers, you can:
- View a list of defined markers using the Markers screen.
- Find a specific marker on the map and move the view to that location.
- Add markers as stops when defining a route.
- Search for vehicles that are near a marker.
- Import or export markers from or to a file.
- See when drivers stop at markers in histories.
- Set up alerts to notify you when a vehicle arrives at or leaves a marker or category of marker.
- Run reports about your markers and categories of markers.