If your organization uses the GM OnStar service, you need to activate each vehicle in your fleet so that your drivers can use the GM OnStar app and hardware.
The following steps guide you through the process of activating your vehicles. As soon as your vehicles are activated in Fleet, your drivers can activate the vehicle hardware.
Before You Begin
Ensure you have the following information before you activate the GM OnStar service:
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for each vehicle.
- The name of each vehicle.
- The Fleet Account Number (FAN code). Note that the FAN code must be the same FAN code issued at the time the service was purchased.
Activating the GM OnStar Service
- From the Main section of the navigation bar choose My Account.
- Click the Connect Vehicles tab, or click the Connect Vehicles button. The Connect New Vehicles and Services screen opens.
- Click the Connect Vehicles button to install hardware on a standard vehicle (whether using OEM factory-fit hardware or hardware supplied by Verizon Connect). The Connect step of the wizard opens.
- On the Provide VINs screen, enter the 17-character VINs of the vehicles you want to add to your account. Enter one VIN per line. Alternatively, if you have created a CSV file that contains the VINs, click the Choose File button, and then locate and select the VIN CSV file. Note that VINs for vehicles that have been added in the past, and that have not been removed, are rejected and cannot be added.
- Click the Next button to upload your VINs. When they have uploaded, the Review Vehicles step of the wizard opens.
- On the Add Vehicles screen, check that the details you have entered for each vehicle are correct.
- Click Next. The Account Details step of the wizard opens.
- Enter the FAN code. If the field is already completed, check that the FAN code is correct. You might be asked to complete the vehicle address. This field is optional.
Do not click the Skip this step button on the Can’t find your Fleet Account Number? dialog box.
- Click Next. The Checkout step of the wizard opens.
- Check that the details on the Checkout screen are correct.
- Select the check box in the lower part of the screen to agree to the OnStar Terms & Conditions and Privacy Statement (TCPS).
Agreeing to the TCPS is important because:
- GM requires that all customers accept the TCPS before OnStar hardware can be enabled.
- Your organization's OnStar vehicles will be fully activated only when you agree to the TCPS.
- GM will give your organization access to the vehicle data only when you give GM authorization to enable the OnStar hardware.
If you have not selected the checkbox, follow the link below and then click the I have read and agree link to sign your agreement to the TCPS.
It might take up to 24 hours to process the signed agreement.
- Click Next. When the order and credit card payment have been verified, the Confirmation step of the wizard opens.
- On the Confirmation page, click Finish.
- Click the Order tab to view the order you just placed. To check the progress of individual vehicles in the order, click the row for that vehicle.
GM OnStar Blue Button Key Push (BBKP)
Vehicles connected to GM OnStar Service have a special rear-view mirror installed.
These rear-view mirrors have buttons that perform various functions. The blue button connects your drivers with an OnStar advisor. Your drivers might need to press the blue button under the following circumstances:
- The unit is in a dormant state, is disabled, or has not been configured.
- The hardware configuration needs to be activated or updated. This is done via the cellular network, and the procedure for this is described in the following section.
- The TCPS was not accepted when the unit was added to Fleet.
When the blue button on a vehicle’s rear-view mirror needs to be pushed for any reason, we say that the vehicle “needs a BBKP”.
To see which vehicles in your fleet need a BBKP, from the Main section of the navigation bar choose Vehicles. Vehicles that need a BBKP have the tag “BBKP” in the Tags column of the vehicles list. If the Tags column is not displayed, click the Settings icon to open the Settings dialog box. Select the Vehicle List tab, then select the Tags checkbox.
Using the GM OnStar Blue Button to Activate the Hardware
Your drivers should follow this procedure when activating the GM OnStar hardware:
- Push the blue OnStar button on the rear-view mirror, and listen closely to the prompts. You might need to push the button a second time to make a connection.
- When you are connected to an OnStar advisor, clearly state the following: "Please transfer me to a Fleet advisor."
- When you have been transferred to a Fleet advisor, say the following: "I’m calling to activate my OnStar hardware."
- When asked, confirm you are the driver or an authorized individual who is permitted to activate the hardware.
- When asked, provide the advisor with the following information:
- Your account PIN (usually, this is "9999" for GM Fleet vehicles).
- Your organization’s name, and the city and state of its headquarters.
- Your organization’s Fleet Account Number (FAN code).
The advisor will then send a signal to activate the unit.
GM OnStar Blue Button Tips
Here are some tips to help your drivers activate their GM OnStar hardware:
- OnStar advisors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. However, we recommend that your drivers call between 7:00 AM and 11:30 PM US Eastern Standard Time to speak to an advisor who is knowledgeable in activating OnStar hardware.
- Allow between 10 and 15 minutes to complete the call.
- Stay on the call until the advisor tells them that the hardware has been updated.
- Make the call from an area where cellular coverage is reliable and consistent (for example, not from an underground car park).